Aux .Scavenging Air Blower on four stroke?

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
ZAV
First Time Poster
Currently located: Florida,USA

Aux .Scavenging Air Blower on four stroke?

Post by ZAV »

Hello to all ,
In order to reduce smoke emissions during operation at low load an auxiliay Scavenging Air Blower could be installed on Sulzer ZAL40S series (514rpm-6.5MW-8cyl-Genset) scavengine air manifold . Blower as well as flange attachment & scavengine valves fit dimension of RTA series also start/stop command by pressure switch or load feedback, has anyone seen a retrofit installation like this before? can anyone tell me wher to look for it .. drawings ..specs..??
Thanks for your help.
ZAV
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

Interesting

Post by TxMarEng »

I have never encountered an auxiliary blower on a four stroke. The idea does seem to have merit however, most turbocharged four strokes have an aneroid installed to limit fuel rack advance during acceleration to limit smoke and allow the turbo to catch up to the engine load. I did install a system years ago while at the Panama Canal that was accepted by ABB to provide a constant supply of air to the sealing glands due to cyclic loading aboard the dipper dredge Rialto Christensen. It consisted of a shuttle valve in the turbo sealing air line supplied with air from the ships service system. This system was installed due to unusal bearing failure rates from soot contamination.